New 2017 Rank Requirements
BSA has implemented new rank and advancement requirements effective for all scouts on January 1, 2017. If you have an Edition 13 handbook, no action is required. This edition has the most recent requirement. If you have an Edition 12 handbook, you may cut and paste the Handbook Inserts of the new requirement pages into old your handbook.
Current requirements for individual ranks are as follows:
Cyber Chip (Cyber Chip is grade specific and required for Scout & Star)
ABOUT REQUIREMENT CHANGES IN 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions – Look here for information about transitioning and deadlines.
- Old vs. New Requirements – Check here for side-by-side Comparison
- Rank Changes – This BSA document details all of the rank requirement changes.
2015 RANK REQUIREMENTS
There are six ranks in Boy Scouting, culminating with the Eagle Scout rank. A boy completes the Joining Requirements and earns the Scout badge, but this is not a rank (until 2016).
- The first three ranks (Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class) are a time for a beginner scout to learn skills for outdoors, self-sufficiency, and citizenship.
- The last three ranks (Star, Life and Eagle) are earned by completion of merit badges, service projects, and serving in leadership roles.
- An active boy scout can generally reach the rank of Second Class in about 12 months and should reach First Class within 18 to 20 months.
As a scout advances in rank, he shifts from being a ‘learner’ to a ‘leader’ and is expected to teach new scouts.
- We encourage younger scouts to go to higher ranking scouts for sign-off rather than to the same adult every time.
- We allow Troop Guides to sign off for scouts in the patrol they are mentoring and Star, Life or Eagle scouts to sign-off any Tenderfoot, Second Class or First Class requirements.
- This helps build relationships with the troop leadership and turns their handbook into an autograph book of other scouts’ initials.
A Scoutmaster, an Assistant Scoutmaster or a higher ranking scout can sign off on individual scout requirements.